This shrimp chowder is quick and easy to make. With a fresh baguette, it is delicious for lunch on a rainy day.
- 2 large potatoes (peeled and cut into cubes)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 1 cup raw shrimp (de-veined and shells removed)
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- Using a medium sized pot over medium heat, melt butter or margarine.
- Add onion. When onion gets soft and starts to turn brown, add garlic.
- Add potatoes.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Continue boiling until potatoes are soft and tender.
- Remove from heat. Use an immersion blender to puree the potatoes. (If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully use a regular blender to puree in small batches.)
- Place back on reduced heat and add milk or cream.
- Add shrimp and simmer until they have been cooked through.
- Garnish and serve. Makes 2 big bowls or 4 small bowls.