- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp Butter (or margarine)
- 4 Medium Tomatoes, chopped1
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Cup Milk (or cream)
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste (or ketchup)
- 2 tbsp Fresh Basil, chopped
- Fresh Basil Leaves (to garnish)
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan or frying pan at medium heat.
- Add onion and stir until translucent.
- Add garlic and tomato paste.
- Add Tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Simmer until tomatoes are softened (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Add chopped basil.
- Transfer to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth.
- Return to sauce pan and place back on heat.
- Add milk. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Pour into bowls, garnish and serve.
(Makes 2 servings)
1. Some people might prefer removing the tomato skins and seeds. I keep everything. Once blended you’ll never notice the difference and you don’t loose any nutrients.