Published: April 3, 2011
Dark soft loaf with oatmeal.
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 45 min
Total time: 2 hours 45 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves
- 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp dark (black-strap) molasses
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 oz. active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups, approximately all-purpose flour
1. Add oats, butter and molasses to a large bowl. Pour in boiling water. Stir until butter is melted and the molasses is dissolved.
2. In a small bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top and let stand for 10 minutes. Stir to dissolve yeast. Add to the warm molasses mixture.
3. Add brown sugar, salt, and first amount of flour. Mix well.
4. Work in remaining flour a bit at a time until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
5. Turn out on to a floured surface and knead 8 to 10 minutes. Place into a greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover with tea towel and place in a warm location (the oven with the light on) for 1 1/2 hours until the dough doubles in size.
6. Punch the dough down. Divide into 2 equal loaves. Cover with tea towel and let stand in warm location for 1 hour.
7. Bake at 350F (175C) for 45 minutes. Brush tops with soft butter or margarine. Turn out on to racks to cool.
Leave a Reply